Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lessons

Found it! An almost perfect song for the moment!

Sweet memories flashing very quickly by
Reminding me giving me a reason why
I know that my goal is more than a thought
Ill be there when I teach what Ive been taught

You know we've told you before
But you didn't hear us then
So you still question why
You didn't listen again

Sweet memories I never thought it would be like this
Reminding me just how close I came to missing
I know that this is the way for me to go
You'll be there when you know what I know

Rush, "Lessons," 2112, 1976

So, as I reflect back on my and my mom's conversation yesterday, this song reminds me of what we talked about.

We were talking about how happy I was when I had friends that held me up, encouraged me. Loved me for all my geekness in school (yes, i was a geek). I gave all that up. I lost me! And, all these years, my mom has told me this. Time after time.

I know she has. But I didn't listen.

I don't know what has changed, but I'm listening now. I'm ready to finally hear it.

The memories of who I used to be are flooding me. The thoughts of who I can be are flooding me. If I can figure out how to combine the young with the maturing (never adult, I refuse to grow up), I'll be OK.

In fact, I know I'll be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment