Sunday, November 16, 2008

Scarification

http://www.bmezine.com/scar/scar-faq.html

A guy that I work with (and have gone out with a couple of times now) has brandings. They are symbols with different meanings. I don't know what meanings they are yet, but I will find out over time.

I have never met someone who has had this done. Generally, my friends have had tattoos and/or piercings. I, myself, have five tattoos and eight piercings (including my ears). I am itching for another tattoo and have started thinking about another piercing. And now my curiosity is piqued regarding branding.

I understand that throughout history, it has been used in a variety of situations from slaves to fraternities. The Nazis used it in the camps. But, it is also a legitimate form of voluntary body modification and self-expression. There are several techniques for scarification, but the one I'm interested in learning about is branding. This is the one done with heating up a metal shape and burning it into your skin.

To me, this does not sound comfortable.

But, then again, piercings and tattoos aren't exactly a walk in the park. And I'm getting more of them done.

I guess that like any other form of body modification, branding has special meaning for each symbol or picture. I know my tats have special meaning for me. Each one its own story. I'm sure that branding or cutting is the same.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm going to run out and get branded. Um....no thanks. But, for the sake of my new friend, I'd like to learn more about this.

If nothing else, I'll be more educated!

No comments:

Post a Comment